Tuesday 19 November 2013

November 19, 2013: "Down in the New Orleans"



New Orleans
City Of New Orleans – The Big Easy – NOLA - Nawlins


Person: Creative Resilient Vibrant Cultural Spiritual
Tanya Harris - Louis Armstrong – Ellen DeGeneres

Place: Historic Festive
The French Quarter - Café Du Monde - Bourbon Street - St. Bernard - The Swamp


Thing: Unique Expressive
Cajun -Beignets -The Saints - Fleur De Lis - Mardi Gras - Creole - Jazz - Seafood


Cafe Du Monde CoffeeMe and New Orlean Saint Cameron Jordan


Aboard A Swamp Tour - Met A Friend

Photos: Cafe Du Monde Coffee, New Orlean Saint Cameron Jordan,  Aboard A Swamp Tour


Mardi Gras Beads
 “Nawlin’s” culture reminds me so much of my Caribbean heritage. The people are filled with so much joy, energy, and pizzazz. The food is full of spice, flavour, and love. The music makes you wanna get down at any given moment and of course, carnival is celebrated annually through the Mardi Gras parade. Therefore it is no surprise why I fell in love with the City of New Orleans after my visit in June 2011. The nature of my trip was to give a helping hand to communities most affected by Hurricane Katrina. Despite the events that took place in 2005, the spirit and energy of the Nawlin people continue to shine. It was wonderful to feel the vibrancy of this city first hand.

Everyone in New Orleans wanted to feed me though! You could tell Nawlin folks took pride in their tasty southern dishes. At one point I had a paint brush in my left hand and a spicy shrimp in my right hand – ha! If you ever come to my house, be sure to look through my “Nola Food Diary” which is a compilation of unique dishes I ate on my trip. Food images include as Mac & Cheese pizza, a lobster-shrimp burger, and REAL shrimp jambalaya. 


One of my favourite memories in NOLA HAD to be the night my friend’s and I strolled Frenchmen Street and stumbled upon a Jazz venue called the "Balcony Music Club". Long story short we started a dance off between event – goers and the band!

It went a little something like this:



On that note, I think it would be fitting to invite you all to my upcoming public performance. I will be a featured dancer in the High Society Cabaret’s presentation of “Down In The New Orleans”

High Society Cabaret ~ The Art of Vintage Tease is cabaret show staged in downtown Toronto venues, created by Anna Jaeger and presented by DivaGirl Entertainment and Chic-a-boom Room. High Society Cabaret is inspired by classic vintage burlesque, and incorporates the tease with cabaret style dance. This month, the ladies and I will take you back to the bye-gone era of smoke-filled jazz bars, flashy showgirls, gamblers, riverboats, and the sleepy, sticky heat of New Orleans circa 1930. 

Visit the HSC Facebook & Twitter Pages!

Meet my cast mate Kristen:

Describe your dance style in one word? … She gave 3 – Ha!
“Playful - jazzy” burlesque. 

What do you love most about New Orleans flavour?
I love everything about New Orleans and have grown up listening to jazz music, playing trumpet and travelling across North America in a jazz combo. The best thing we ever did was play at a jazz bar in New Orleans. It was amazing the way the whole town can come together and celebrated! - Such an unreal experience.

What can folks expect from our show November 22nd?
I think the show is really going to bring the audience to a different era especially with such an intimate venue. Everyone will definitely feel like they're at a hot street New Orleans street party!

Meet my cast mate Samantha:


Describe your dance style in one word? 
 Sultry

What do you love most about New Orleans flavour?
The care free and exuberant lifestyle that is everywhere down south!

What can folks expect from our show November 22nd?
 A show full of surprises and excitement that will make you think you've travelled back to Old Time New Orleans!


Then there's ME:

Describe your dance style in one word? 
Fierce!

What do you love most about New Orleans flavour?
The rich culture that exudes in the food, music, and people... therefore, too many things to love!

What can folks expect from our show November 22nd?
 You will be available to view the work of some hard - working & talented females! Each dancer has their own unique style which also adds to the dimension of the show. Furthermore, many of you haven't seen me dance in this style or dance at all for that matter! HA! Well I have two words for you: ADVANCE TICKETS.

Huge shout out to Choreographer and my fellow Cast Mate Kate Knox

Kitten Cast Mates Dana Thody and Jessica Medeiros...

and director Anna Jaeger who will be making a very special appearance that you don’t want to miss… I should mention that Anna is 7 months pregnant… You betta werk !


Event Details:
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22nd, 2013
at Parlour Loung
(270 Adelaide St. W, corner of John St.)

Doors: 6:00pm
Show: 9:00pm
Tickets: $20.00 in advance … don’t be that person that buys at the door – Support Early! ;)
 

You can purchase tickets online HERE
or visit me in person... 

VIP TABLE WITH GUARANTEED SEATING $150.00 FOR A GROUP OF 4

**NEW: DINNER & A SHOW!!
(Additional cost for a 3 course dinner. www.parlour270.com for details)


To conclude, check out the High Society Video Teaser:






Stay Connected With Me Via:


Twitter: @SimplyShakera
Instagram:  @SimplyShakera
YouTube: Simply Shakera
Email: info@simplyshakera.com

No comments:

Post a Comment