Tuesday 3 January 2017

Year At A Glance: 2016


Happy New Year Everyone!

In 2016 I set out to focus on things that I love, build new relationships, and take on some of my biggest fears! Setting that intention really attracted amazingness in my life. 
I could really feel God’s anointing!

It was also cool to see many of you taking leaps in your life as well. The amount of new businesses, engagements, and travel imagery I seen floating across my time lines was quite impressive. I SEE YOU.


Toronto Coconut Fest 2016

I thank all my family and friends for the love and support!

I thank the Carnival Spice and #SSFlashMob team for your time and talent. We have definitely created memorable moments.

I thank all my clients for trusting me it has been an honour to be apart of your journey.


Lovin' up on Jully Black at the SheROto SheEO Conference

Huge shout out to my followers!! All your likes, kind words, referrals, jokes, and over all vibes are so appreciated. Plus a huge XO to my CWS, AOS, and HSC family!


On stage with High Society Cabaret


2016 was FILLED with dance, fitness, and culture!
 In no particular order, here are my TOP 10 favourite moments:


(1) Lunch and Lime





Carnival Spice set out to host a Caribbean focused social event that encourages community building and connections while highlighting entertainment based businesses (i.e. venues, talent, artists, products). In June 2016 we hosted our very first "Lunch and Lime". 





Thank you to Harlem Underground for the amazing food as well as our performers, Charlene Victoria, Tereka Tyler Davis, and Kelsey Willmott!



See recap video here: https://youtu.be/iGdwsJRhmu4



(2) Opening For Sean Paul's 
Canadian Tour


Growing up, Sean Paul and Elephant Man are my guys when it comes to dancehall! I grew up in the mid-school era when log on, jimney cricket, and nuh linga were the dances everyone was doing! So you can imagine that I was quite excited when asked to dance in Sean Paul's opening set during the Toronto and Montreal leg of his “Full Speed 2016" tour. Shout out Team Farahri for having me on board. 


See more photos HERE

(3) Miami Carnival


Hurricane Matthew may have interrupted plans a bit but after a Carnival Spice curated trip it is hard not to have a great time. Check out the the video below from the road:



If video above does not work please visit link here: https://youtu.be/IvkHhfsvkLU


See my Miami Carnival recap HERE


(4) Traveling To New Delhi, India 

I crossed an ocean to witness two of my dear friends marry each other. I cannot wait to share with you how it went in an upcoming post as I am STILL processing the whole experience. For now, below is a photo from the ceremony with the bride.

simply shakera india 2016 review



(5) The Launch of Carnival Spice Dance Programs


It was a pleasure to dance, sweat, and connect with folks all across the GTA for weekly Carnival Spice classes. In 2016 we hosted classes in Mississauga, Brampton, The Annex, North York, and Scarborough. Look out for our 2017 schedule that will be announced shortly.



See videos from our different locations here: https://youtu.be/-wW4Ep34Ik8



(6) Performing For Deadmau5



I cannot share much about this day but I will say when Tommy Lee gives you a dab and says “You ladies are awesome!” … then you must be doing something right. 


Shout to the Carnival Spice crew for shutting it down and bringing' di vibes!



(7) S.O.S Fest 2016

As a model for the Toronto Revellers, I was invited to appear in a performance with Kes The Band. The weather that day was beautiful, my make up looked amazing thanks to “Nikki D Artistry” and I got to meet soca and reggae artists including Rupee, Lyrikal, Kranium, Voice, and Shal Marshal.


If video above does not work please visit link here: https://youtu.be/sKRubQd-7ss



(8) Sunshine Girl


Not once but twice, I was your “Sunshine Girl” in the Toronto Sun newspaper and grateful to share my vibe across Canada. Huge shout out to photographer Jack Boland for being amazing to work with. We definitely created some magic!










(9) The Lemonade Experience

Burlesque artist and producer Zyra Lee Vanity created a show made up of a cast of beautiful, talented, and unapologetically black women. Plus the theme of the show was Beyonce’s Lemonade album. Burlesque, Black Beauties, and Beyonce! Boy did we slay! Image below is from our finale; fists up and proud AF.




(10) Black History Month With The Toronto Public Library 

I am blessed to share the power of dance with folks of all ages. This is BHM Carnival Spice partnered with the Toronto Public Library to host a series of Caribbean dance fitness workshops for youth across the GTA. Here’s a clip from Burrows Hall Library


If video above does not work please visit link here: https://youtu.be/EMmNXRP01tU

*CHEERS TO 2017*

I am super motivated and inspired for all the things to come in 2017. After working tirelessly behind the scenes I am excited to share some new content & resources with you soon.

SPECIFICALLY I will launching the Simply Shakera Inc. interactive online space featuring all things dance, fitness, and culture

Note, this will be the last blog post you will find on simplyshakera.blogspot.com as content will transition to simplyshakera.com come launch time!





SEE YOU THEN DAWNS!


Stay Connected With Me Via:

Twitter: @SimplyShakera
Facebook: SimplyShakera
Instagram:  @SimplyShakera
YouTube: Simply Shakera



3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and all that you've accomplished last year, and know the day will soon come when I'll be saying "I knew her when...", and hey, I got to make a video with you.✿ Best wishes for your new site. ❤ *Applause*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara,

      Thank you for your continued support over the years! You're the best and I look forward to flying' in di sky with you! whoop whoop!! ... wait, what video yuh talking'?? Either way I'm in!

      Delete
  2. I've been to events at other places, but this was my first time in here. Great venues in NYC. Food was good and seating was very comfortable. Also, very good view from where I sat. This is such a cool venue and the atmosphere was equally amazing.

    ReplyDelete